“I am My Beloved’s, and My Beloved is mine. His desire is toward me, and my desire is toward him” (Song of Solomon 6:3, 7:10).
“And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD. And it shall come to pass in that day, I will hear, saith the LORD, I will hear the heavens, and they shall hear the earth” (Hosea 2:19-21).
- “…Forever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me…” (verse 19)—No divorce! God hates divorce! (Malachi 2:16).
- “…in Righteousness…” (verse 19)—Always relating to one another in the right way:
Husbands: Love as own body, cherish, esteem as weaker vessel (physically); Ephesians 5:25-29, 1 Peter 3:7.
b. Wives: Respect him as the leader of the home: Ephesians 5:22-24, 1 Peter 3:1-6.
c. Both: Be compassionate; not trying to “get even” for offenses: 1 Peter 3:8-9, Romans 12:19-21.
- “…in Judgment…” (verse 19)—Using discretion in handling problems.
- “…in Lovingkindness…” (verse 19)—A Love with its working clothes on. Express love in actions from the littlest details. Doing things to please the other and what makes him/her feel special.
- “…in Mercies…” (verse 19)—FORGIVENESS! Notice that it is plural! There will be countless times over the course of a life together, that you will need to forgive one another. Mercy is not what we deserve, because if we deserved it, it would not be mercy.
- “…in Faithfulness…” (verse 20)—No other lovers! Also, defend your mate’s character in times when he/she may come under attack from others. Song of Solomon 4:7, 5:10.
- “…Know the Lord…” (verse 20)—Your relationship with God must be rewarding and right. When it is, your marriage will also be rewarding and rich. When it’s not, your marriage will suffer tension as well.
- “I will hear, Saith the Lord” (verse 21)—You and your spouse will experience answers to prayers! Otherwise, when there is friction and unforgiveness, “your prayers are hindered” (1 Peter 3:7).